Friday, June 24, 2011

Nothing says it like socks...


Just a couple of non-sock bits; I was overjoyed to come home and find my first lot of bulbs beginning to flower.
And to see that the boys had gone into business making beeswax candles...
I finished knitting Jonno's socks in Australia. It was so satisfying to watch him put them on - they almost reach to his knees and successfully keep his toes very warm after a shower.
Archie's second sock is still on the needles Hopefully over the weekend however, I will be able to take a photo of all the male feet in our household lined up clad in their new regalia.
Now, please let me introduce you to a very special pair of socks.
They were knitted for my step grandfather who was the chief officer on a naval ship and sailed to very, very, very cold places like the Baltic Sea - I think I need to ring Mum for a few more details... I will add more later. They are knitted with a very thick wool, either 10 or 12 ply and measure 81cm!!!
I love the slight pattern that has been knitted in and would love to find the recipe for it. The ribbing almost resembles a slight cable and looks quite easy.
And the final touch to stop your good socks from being mixed up with other sailors - a little name tag that has been stitched in with love.
Nothing says it like socks.
Lots of love,
Kate xxooxx.

8 comments:

ellie said...

What a beautiful piece of family history. How lucky all your boys are to get their own new warm socks.

Flowering bulbs -special treasure to come home to. I'm glad you're back safe and sound.

Exx

Julia said...

Fantastic! What an awesome heirloom to have! Love the yarn you have used for your own socks though, gorgeous and well done to your boys, creativity must run in the family as those candles look wonderful!

Much love
Julia x

Leonie @ Cuppa and Cake said...

I should have a go...but I'm scared of the HEAL!!

As for the sailors socks...I wonder how heavy they would have been if wet? Luck the ship didn't go down!

Felicity said...

I love your socks, your grandfathers socks are so lovely! Socks are on my knitting to do/ learn list! Fliss xxx

Ann said...

Wow...love all the stuffs you knit. I did try to learn knitting from my mum. Some how I failed tremendously..LOL. Well i guess it's not my things..keep it up. Will return to admire all the colours here.

do you mind if i knit said...

Isn't it amazing those socks are in such good condition, the socks your step-grandfather wore. Your socks you've made and are knitting are lovely, I suppose it's the right weather for sock knitting for you at the moment isn't it? Love Vanessa xxx

Hen said...

I bought Jane Brocket's new knitting book at the weekend and as a person who cannot knit(!), I am very jealous of your socks. I particularly love those greeny/turquoise/primrose/purpley ones. Scrumptious!

pebble beach said...

Hi, which pattern do you use for your socks? I have checked online, but not found anything specific to Sirdar Crofter yarn. Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails