Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Crochet Ball Tutorial.



I am using the American crochet terms so when I talk about an sc , it is referring to an English dc.
Equipment - 3mm crochet hook, 8 ply or 4 ply yarn depending on desired size (you can use a 2.5mm crochet hook with the 4 ply yarn if you like but I find the 3mm hook is still fine).

ch = chain
slst = slip stitch
sc = single crochet

To begin, make 2 ch
Round 1: ch 2
Round 2: 6 sc in 1st chain, join with slst into first sc. (6)
Round 3: *2 sc in each sc. *Repeat until end. (12)
Round 4: *1 sc in the next sc then 2 sc in following sc. *Repeat until end. (18)
Round 5: *1 sc in following 2sc then 2 sc in next sc. *Repeat until end. (24)
Rounds 6 - 10: sc into each sc until 5 rounds have been completed.
Round 11: *sc into each of the next three sc then skip the fourth sc. *Repeat until end
Round 12: *sc into each of the next two sc then skip the third sc. *Repeat until end
Round 13: *sc into every second sc. *Repeat until end.
Round 14: Continue to follow the instructions from round thirteen until hole is almost closed. Bind off securely.

To make a bigger ball, in Round 6, instead of just doing an sc in every sc, sc into each of the following 3 sc then 2 sc into the fourth sc. This also means that in Round 11, you would *sc into each of the next four sc, then skip the fifths sc, repeating from * until the end of the round.
To make a flatter smartie like shape, follow the instructions for Round 6 and Round 7, beginning to decrease the pattern in Round 8.
I am so sorry it has taken so many days to post. I am not sure if the written tutorial is perfect yet as I didn't realise how much I rely on the look of the ball when deciding to decrease. I will keep playing with it though and will write up any changes along the way.
This has been a very quiet blogging week for me as I have been snared by a combination of school holidays and a temporary case of slow Internet connection. Actually, add to that a sudden onset of extreme tiredness and a need to sleep huge hours (not pregnant). Thank goodness everything has cleared up again, although the boysies are still on school holidays but that is a good thing. Today we are setting off for a little holiday in my parents-in-laws's camper van. We don't even know where we are going yet but we do have a list of things we would like to do... glow worm caves, hot mineral pools, hot water rivers, forests and crochet. Hang on, the last bit might just be me although I am sure that Archie will want me to include his knitting and I did buy two embroidery hoops so I will pack those for small boys in rainy weather.
I have also bought a couple of amazing new books so I will review them when I come back. Stay tuned and I will see you Monday next week. Have a good weekend - xxooxxooxx.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails