Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Thank Goodness for Blogging and Some Book Talk!

 I have missed blogging this week. Somehow the change of weather from summer to autumn has caught me though and I feel a bit like a weetbix left too long in a bowl of milk. Soo happy to have my favourite season come along but altogether very soggy and needing lots of sleep. Luckily I have had some wonderful books to read. One that I adored (and was a quick, easy read) was 'Whistling Dixie in a Nor'easter' by Lisa Patton. It was such a great comfort read and I really loved the characters.... and then I followed that with 'That Part was True' by Deborah Mckinlay which I really, really, really loved - a little gem. I then went on to Wendy Webb's new book 'The Vanishing' which was spellbinding - one of those books where it is hard to get anything done as the pages almost turn by themselves. She always has a good spine tingle moment but not so you can't turn out the light at night which to me is a great balance.
I have to admit that I wasn't so keen on Sarah Addison Allen's new book 'Lost Lake'. It was a perfectly pleasant read but didn't have as much depth as I would have hoped for. A slight hint of magic to it but once again, not as much as I had hoped for. I really do enjoy her books but I love a writer who develops with time. I am sure this will happen but just not with this one. It is absolutely worth reading if you are in the mood for something very light. 
 Onto other things - I have been crocheting madly for the Simply Crochet mag again. This time it has been a project for father's day... watch this space.
 Still finishing up some projects for the book.... The t-shirt fabric underneath the yarn is for a dress that I would like to make myself as soon as I have finished up the Stanley project. I am starting to get soooo antsy for other challenges. 
 Refining the hot air balloon pattern which will be in the book!
And managing to find a few moments here and there to make the most of a friend's tomato glut. I love the excess of vegetables at this time of year!
Lots and lots of love,
Kate xxooxx.
p.s. I would loooooove to know what you are reading at the moment. I have just begun 'The Winter People' by Jennifer McMahon and am loving it. 

6 comments:

Brigitte Peetermans said...

So many books!
You really must have felt a little sick.

Thank you for sharing them.

I am going to look for:
That Part was True' by Deborah Mckinlay. all gems appeal to me.

Tina @ The Rogue Sparrow said...

Thanks Kate, I always look forward to your book recommendations :) I'm reading Eleanor and park by Rainbow Rowell -very sweet. Whistling Dixie is next on the list. Happy reading!

fiona said...

Thanks for the list Kate. I'm going to see if our library has 'That Part was True'! I recently read, and loved, Maggie O'Farrel's 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox', which I think was one of your recommendations. I adored it! And my husband read it too, so we had a few interesting conversations about it. The two-person reading group! A friend lent me Peter Heller's 'The Dog Stars', which was the most enjoyable post-apocalyptic novel I've ever read! Beautiful and sad, crazy and wonderful. Now I'm reading Jo Barker's 'Longbourn', which is absolutely a must-read if you are a 'Pride & Prejudice' fan. I'm trying to read it slowly, and savour all those wonderful 19th century domestic details! You seem to be such a voracious reader that you've probably read all of these, but if I've suggested something new, I'm very glad!

Emma Pearce said...

OOOOOO I am excited by those hot air balloons...
I am reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. I have had it for years and I am determined to find the time to finish it!

Old Magnolia Tree said...

Thanks for such good book reviews. I can always use advice when choosing books.
At the moment I'm reading The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld. It is very good and had me caught in the first chapter. Love books like that.
Rosie

grannysquare said...

More great recommendations Kate! I have had to progress from the postcard system to a notebook!and also on your recommendation I'm using the hold system at the library,brilliant!!(We're on the same shelf,surname Baker :) )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails