Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Little Bit of Quilting Love.

 Well knock me down with a feather, but I think I like quilting. Inspiration hit with this quilt by Petal Plum made for Stef the bride and I have been wanting to make my own Nani Iro version ever since.
 I have finished the top now and have reached the next stage where words like quilt sandwich come into play. It makes me feel strangely hungry .....mmmmm..... quilt sandwich. I found some 50/50 cotton and bamboo batting from Spotlight as I would like it to be light weight for the summer. The binding will be with yellow corduroy.
 And of course, like all crafting phases, it is not enough to have just one quilt on the go. On pinterest there has been a few unfinished quilts appliqued onto fabric, a great way to finish a stalled project.
I began this granny's garden hexie quilt years ago, using a tiny template which meant that growth was very slow. I don't think I will ever get fully back into this particular one so instead I will turn it into a single quilt for the guest bedroom. I am so looking forward to completing it.
I hope you like my new header - I always feel a little strange with blog changes but I am beginning to think that I might like this one even more than the last.... 
Anyhoo, I had better rescue the corned beef and serve it up for dinner.
Lots of love,
Kate xxooxx.

10 comments:

Truly Myrtle said...

Your quilt is fantastic - I love it! The yellow cord will be a great match. I didn't know you could get cotton/bamboo filling - sounds fantastic. But, I don't know much about quilting!
I've got a bag of hexi bits in my stash that I made when I was a kid - like tons. There are many dubious fabric choices but I'd love to do something with them for old times sake. Perhaps the applique idea might work?
Yum, proper NZ corned beef.

Menopausalmusing said...

Yellow corduroy binding against these lovely fabrics sounds like the perfect combination in terms of colour and texture. Yum!

Dee said...

oh, what a genius idea!
can't wait to see it finished :)

Lily said...

What a good idea to use unfinished patchwork to make applique. Its also a good idea for a beginner project if the idea of a whole quilt makes you panic (like me!) Lily. xxx

joshy and belle said...

They are both fab xxxxx

Michelle said...

Looks lovely, I have no idea about quilting, but looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Deborah said...

That's a very nice quilt you are making. I'm so glad I read this post because you gave me an idea. I have a very old quilt started by my grandmother in the Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern. It was never finished, and I didn't think I'd ever know what to do with it. I never thought of just appliqueing it onto a big piece of fabric. Thanks so much for the idea!!!! I like your header, too!!!

Hilary said...

Love the colours in your quilt top ~ looking forward to seeing the finished article :)

ellie said...

Oh my I love your Nani Iro. That red! Wowzee. I still haven't made myself one like the one I made for Stef. I'm waiting until our house is made, and I have a new bedroom....
Hope you're well and good and all.
oh yes, loving your new blog header.
xxxxx

Molly said...

Looks FAB! And FUN to make!! <3 <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails