Saturday, April 7, 2012

New Things and Little Things.

What a wonderful whirlwind of a week! Just Archie and myself while Jonno and Hugo are road tripping in the South Island. Archie has had sleep overs and bowling and movies and takeaways and early birthday presents - all in all, an almost-nine year old's dream week. I've loved it too and even managed to do lots and lots of sewing (including two new dresses which I will show in another post).
At the moment I am making a messenger bag with some precious Nani Iro oilcloth I have had squirreled away for a couple of years. The yellow lining fabric is from Spotlight and I love the ice-creaminess of it.
This is my new pride and joy - a brand new enamel cast iron 6 litre pot. I have a fantastic smaller one that I use about three times a week but have wanted one that I could cook ginormous stews in. I have a big slow cooker which is great, but the flavours never develop like they do in cast iron. For those of you in New Zealand, they are on sale at Stevens for $79 - a little cheaper than Le Creuset methinks.
My other new favourite thing in the kitchen is this painting given to me by my neighbour (it is not by her though though - I have dropped a few birthday hints for one of those). The row of quince sitting next to it have now been stewed and have turned into the most edible, caramel(y) treats for when my Mum comes to stay next month. I love them so much.
Archie and I are flying down to the South Island soon to join the boys on the last leg of their trip. I suspect by the time we get there it will be quite chilly, so I took my duffel coat to the dry cleaners in readiness. I can't wait to be wearing it again, I feel like I am legally snuggled in a big blanket out in public.
Stef the bride came over yesterday with baby Evelyn. She put her down for a moment on the beanbag and the next thing we new, there was a sleeping baby in our midst.
I love how they can sleep soundly with a room of noise swirling around them. There is nothing like the sight of a sleeping baby.
Actually yes there is, a freshly just woken up one. I love those merry eyes.
Hope you are having a lovely Easter.
Lots of love,
Kate xxooxxooxx.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails