Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Crochet Lessons.

This morning I gave my first official crochet lesson. Exciting and daunting all at the same time and I think I learnt more from it than they did. The group comprised of three, a mother and two 11 year old girls. 
As everybody who has learnt to crochet knows, the first few lessons are the hardest and it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Added to that, one of the girls was left handed and found it quite tricky to get the tension right. So, when we reached that stage, I had Jamie Oliver's Hummingbird cake at the ready. It is amazing what a break with tea and cake will do for perspective. 
And so I rethought my concept that crochet must always be done with yarn wrapped around the left hand (so obvious now I know - I am a beginner teacher though) and began to practise with the girl using our right hands instead. It was miraculous, she started to twirl her hook and it all came together. So humbling and good for me too as I laboured away with my opposite hand, realising what life must be like for left handers in a right handed world. I will never, ever, ever try and get a left handed person to crochet 'my way' again.
We decorated the room for the lessons. Hugo made some paper chains (although Archie is pictured in this photo) and I picked lots of flowers. Archie wound the ice-cream sticks with yarn.
 It is addictive, this teaching people to crochet. I think it's my way of infecting the world so that I will have more friends to crochet with. The big thing with me teaching classes though is working out how many I can teach at one time and how to handle the varying abilities that occur within one class. Something to ponder over happily for the meantime.

As for me, it's back to work on the caravans!
Lots and lots of love,
Kate. xx.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails