Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Crochet Lessons.

This morning I gave my first official crochet lesson. Exciting and daunting all at the same time and I think I learnt more from it than they did. The group comprised of three, a mother and two 11 year old girls. 
As everybody who has learnt to crochet knows, the first few lessons are the hardest and it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Added to that, one of the girls was left handed and found it quite tricky to get the tension right. So, when we reached that stage, I had Jamie Oliver's Hummingbird cake at the ready. It is amazing what a break with tea and cake will do for perspective. 
And so I rethought my concept that crochet must always be done with yarn wrapped around the left hand (so obvious now I know - I am a beginner teacher though) and began to practise with the girl using our right hands instead. It was miraculous, she started to twirl her hook and it all came together. So humbling and good for me too as I laboured away with my opposite hand, realising what life must be like for left handers in a right handed world. I will never, ever, ever try and get a left handed person to crochet 'my way' again.
We decorated the room for the lessons. Hugo made some paper chains (although Archie is pictured in this photo) and I picked lots of flowers. Archie wound the ice-cream sticks with yarn.
 It is addictive, this teaching people to crochet. I think it's my way of infecting the world so that I will have more friends to crochet with. The big thing with me teaching classes though is working out how many I can teach at one time and how to handle the varying abilities that occur within one class. Something to ponder over happily for the meantime.

As for me, it's back to work on the caravans!
Lots and lots of love,
Kate. xx.

10 comments:

  1. Well done. There is great satisfaction to be had teaching others. One of my first students has just won a first prize in a local village show with a crochet necklace. I felt as if I'd won it myself. Like the way you wrap the yarn round the lolly sticks.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jessie's Needle! What a thrill for you.

    I especially enjoy teaching children and young people how to crochet when they show an interest. Many have never seen anyone knitting or crocheting up close and who am I to deny anyone the chance to find a new hobby that may turn out to be "their thing" and lead their lives onto a new happy course like it has for me.

    Kate, you have also made me realise that I have also had an ulterior motive and I love the way you have articulated it: " 'infecting' the world so that I will have more friends to crochet with"

    Nothing wrong with that!

    Do you attend many crochet workshops? It is a great way to observe the teaching styles of others and get organisational ideas.

    You look pretty organised already though and you will be giving others ideas now with your cute lolly sticks!

    Have fun! :-)
    Jodie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a left handed crocheter I struggled to learn off right handed teachers. It wasn't till I held a mirror up to a book to reverse the diagrams that I finally "got" it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught my cousin to crochet who is left handed. I was told to sit opposite of her, while I crochet, and it will look correct to her. Well, that didn't work. She started crocheting as though she were right handed, and she is doing quite well with it. So I think different styles work with different people, left handed or not. Good for you for teaching others to crochet!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.slugsontherefrigerator.com/blog/guest-post-left-handed-crochet

    This should help with some tips - it's a guest ost I wrote as a leftie for Kat Goldin's Crochet Camp.

    Poor girl. :-( But I'm glad you realiied your misconception.

    Sit her opposite you so she can copy you mirror image style - that's good.

    Any more tips I can give please let me know.

    Learning to crochet was a goal from childhood as I'd been so frustrated and sad not to learn when I had The Ladybird Book of Crochet. Still so much is aimed at right handers and it's hard for lefties. I met a guy at a knit group last year who just assumed there was NO different way so he'd learn the right handed way and I could see how awkward a grip he had developed. It's odd when we surely all know people hold scissors, mugs, pens etc in different hands - why not crochet hooks and yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the first class! Bravo! It's very demanding, teach many at a time, sounds like you did great. Three more yarnaholics! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a super experience for you and them! and such a feat for the left handed person! Hope you're feeling better now too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure that you will be a great teacher! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand how you felt teaching a lefty to crochet. I was the only right handed person in my family for 10 years! My 2 oldest daughters (and their dad) were lefties, so everything I taught them I had to re-learn first! I was a little prepared, as I taught myself how to write with my left hand in 4th grade. Four children in my class had broken arms, and it terrified me, so I was ready for it if it happened!
    Have a beautiful day!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. I teach sewing classes to adults, and I end up with a huge range of abilities. Sometimes it seems a little overwhelming, but I just try to relax, be very honest and up front with my class, and ask for everyone's patience. Pretty soon the more experienced ones are helping the newbies, and everyone is working together. I'm sure that would happen with crochet, too! I love my classes, and I love the fact that I've introduced someone to my favorite hobby. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails