Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Steady Rain and Gluten-Free Biscuits

Here is the teacup in which I store hope, peace, quiet and a hint of caffeine.

Finally some sewing has happened, writing paper folders for the children's teachers - please avert your eyes if you are one of them. I am still in the process of finishing the writing paper.

And the chooks.... I caught them discussing the day they scratched over all of my heirloom seeds when they innocently sprouted like little time capsules encountering their given moment in the future.

Another quiet day at home today. Jonno has recovered well but is still looking a little gaunt, thankfully his sense of humour is bouncing again, he puts up with me so grown-uply when it is intact. Archie however, had a very unsettled night with a sore throat and aching body and stayed home for the day. Hugo had pre-school so Archie and I huddled inside while the steady rain pattered companionably against the windows.
I had lots of Christmas sewing to catch up on and Archie snuggled on a neighbouring chair, listening to a children's podcast. Very 1940's-style comfort. We even had gluten-free vanilla, muscovado biscuits baking in the background. Quite Christmassy when I think about it.... I might just leave it at that.
Here is the recipe:
Gluten-Free Vanilla and Muscovado Biscuits

185 grams softened butter
1 cup muscovdo sugar
1.5 cups tapioca flour
1 cup brown rice flour
2 small eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice

Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Mix all ingredients in processor than refrigerate as it is quite a sticky mixture. When stiffened, shape and cut as desired (do I hear anybody wincing). Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.

4 comments:

Mary and Alan said...

Thank you Katie
A whole week of catching up with your blog and just as comforting as sitting in front of a log fire with my feet up and eating hot crumpets dripping with butter!
You delight me with your prose and descriptive turn of phrase.
Interesting to hear the family members are changing places in the sick bed - am sure the biscuits will help make everyone better soon.
Hugo looks very grown up with his new hair cut and I particularly loved the photo of the kittens!
Stay well and happy in preparation for Christmas festivities. See you in the New Year I hope
Hugs
Mary

Lucy Bowler said...

I guess the 1940s allusion was to the radio-like feel of the podcast, rather than the podcast itself - unless of course you've been time-travelling again! Enjoyed the pic of the tea-cup; an item which is just as revered in my house as it is in yours. Like the bottle of plonk in the background! Another demi-kitchen God! Love Lucy xoxoxo

Kate Bruning said...

Thanks so much for your comments - I love receiving them and am so looking forward to catching up soon with you Mary - I also have a bucket to return....

And yes, I meant the radio feel of the podcast, of course because Ipods were only invented recently were't they?

Mary and Alan said...

PS
Katie - any chance of you doing something with the clock on your blog? - according to my computer it is 20.51 on Tuesday 9 Dec - but maybe you prefer to be in a different time zone to the rest of us?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails