Wednesday, August 7, 2013

How to Crochet Eyelashes....

Awww, look at the new parents. I am working on a family at the moment to send off as a belated birthday present to my 3 year old niece. I hope I'm not misleading her into thinking that all new mums wear tutus. But hey, if I owned one at the time I would have.
So anyhoo, here is a little tutorial on how to crochet eyelashes because sometimes when you make a female creature, she needs to look a little foxy (even if she is a bear).
 So to make the eye, I embroider a french knot using 4 ply wool - wrap the wool around the needle twice...
 Then draw the needle through the wraps and back into the head. Repeat on the other side (unless you are making a cyclops) and tie off.
 I then cut a 3 cm length of wool and split it lengthwise into two pieces. Fold the length in half and then using a smallish hook (I used a 2mm one), insert the hook through a stitch above the eye. Grab the eyelash yarn...
 And pull through the stitch.
 Grab the eyelash yarn again and pull it through the loop left on the hook.
 Et voila, an eyelash.
 Repeat until fabulous.... then trim as desired (unless you are after a certain kind of look).
 This bear still needs some ears so even though she has nice eyes, she still looks slightly unfinished and odd (a bit like I do in the morning until I have my first cup of tea and attach my ears).
 Right now I have Roberta Flack in my head singing "The fiiiirrrssst tiiime, ever I saaaaw your faaaace". By the way, please excuse the length of her nose - I think I was daydreaming at that point in the pattern. The glitch has been taken care of with subsequent bears. It makes her a real individual though.
 Here is bunch of winter flowers to brighten your day.
Lots and lots of love,
Kate xxooxx.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails