Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Macrame and Candles - A Skill Swap Morning.

 Gaaaahhhhh! I have been missing blogging so much! The past few days I have seen me falling into bed each night exhausted and unable to speak, let alone write. So I am posting even if words are only used sparingly.
And thank goodness I have something fun to write about! Today my friend Maddy (who made the dream catcher) came over and we had a morning of swapping skills. Maddy taught me how to make soy candles (wahooooooo!!!) and I shared my extremely meagre knowledge of macrame.
 This is Maddy in action.
 In this day and age it's a wonderful thing that we can sign up here and there for classes but they are expensive and something that just isn't always in the budget. I love the idea of bringing different talents together and sharing knowledge for the joy of it. It would be a great thing to set up some kind of forum bringing people together in this way. Thinking cap on!
 I made a couple of quick nets (?) and have swivelled with a new direction - crocheted, macramed, bonsai balls - there is going to have to be a catchier title than that! Watch this space.
 I can't wait to get going!
 I love, love, love candle making - it really is one of the most relaxing crafts ever, especially when you have a lovely teacher.

And here is some bunting I bought on the weekend. I'm so annoyed because I lost the label telling me who made it. The colours are sublime though aren't they. 
Lots of love,
Kate. xxooxx.

9 comments:

  1. I'm sure I can teach you heaps of things when you come, maths and things just like when we were little! Although I can't understand why you found it so boring - and thought I was so bossy?! Anyway, perhaps you could make me some candles in return?! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Those macrame/crochet balls are AMAZING!!!!! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little handing globes are so cute! :-) Looking forward to see more of them!

    Take care
    Anne
    http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to have a day swapping crafts. There is a group that just started here called Swapsi. It's an exchange of skills, not just crafts but catching on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no reason to take classes! I always wonder why people do, when they seem to be cramped, short on time and you have to take some of that valuable time getting to them. I find other people who attend them make for a cluttered experience where you learn more at home. I don't want to share a table! I want room/space and time to think what I am doing.

    You get very little individual attention, where as if you teach yourself it is very intensive. You also seem to have a very long drawn out process of learning one small thing over some weeks. That would annoy me! Sock making for instance is just a matter of following a pattern, and looking up things if you need to. Going to a class to do the same is not required. There is no time to chat and make friends unless you want to learn even less, so even this is not a good reason.

    I learn whatever I need to know by myself. Before the internet I taught myself crochet and knitting this way. I now use the internet and have been able to learn many new techniques. I embroider, sew, crochet, knit and draw. Sometimes I read information, other times I watch videos.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. A (free)skill swamp, sounds great! Love that idea, the main reason I'm self taught in most crafts, I'd be broke if I took classes in all that I do! lol (Easier to list the crafts I don't do than the ones I do.) ;D Love the mix of crochet and macramé, I've never thought to mix the two, and I've done both most of my life. Happy candle making!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sharing what crafty skills I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Kate, a lovely fun day-sharing crafts is amazing especially the ones that are slightly out of your comfort zone so I appreciate being shown something new as a preference to learning it myself-guessing that is why I love blog land so much but you can't beat the personal interaction.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your crochet macrame bonsai balls remind me of little planets with oversized vegetation...a bit like a cartoon caricature in some ways.
    I don't have room in my budget for tutorials and workshops these days. Depending on the teacher and the topic, they can be very worthwhile - having a real person to listen, examine one's work and solve problems and answer questions in real time is hard to find in books and online tutorials.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails