Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gluten-Free Pancakes

Finally the space has been reached where home is home again. A sun drenched and still Sunday in New Zealand on a beautiful beach surrounded by green hills with the boys paddling on surf boards reminds me how we can exist so far away from Australia. I wonder if it is a normal thing for people to go through this short-term period of adjustment every time they travel between their two countries. My brain is beginning to spark with new ideas and the painting I began prior to leaving is beckoning like an affair (not that I have ever had one but sometimes I feel I am a little reckless with my responsibilities just so I can immerse myself in a world that is made by that moment where my hands touch a paintbrush or pick up knitting needles).

The boys are outside in the last golden light. Monday is peeping around the corner while they make the most of their dizzy freedom. The photo above was taken at Tim and Bella's house with that very same light streaming through into the kitchen. Light that is so bright but just on the turn. You feel like lifting your hands up, grasping it as if to stave away change.

Anyway, enough melancholy, pancake night now. Time to start sizzling butter and flipping thin disks of alchemical batter into the air. There will be no bending to the rules of good nutrition, we don't do savoury pancakes and there will never be anything healthy about our Sunday nights.... thank goodness.

Gluten-Free Pancakes
2.25 cups G.F. Self-Raising Flour
3 eggs
3 cups of milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Add a little bit more milk at the very end to get a reasonably thin batter then heat the fry pan, add the butter and pour.... the rest is hopefully self-explanatory - flip when it stops looking wet..... slather it with something sweet and fatty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails