Friday, March 1, 2013

Rainbow Cakes.

 This year I decided to bite the bullet (ouch) and make a rainbow layer cake for Hugo's birthday. Gluten free too I must add. I'm not a cake professional at all, they usually come together in the end with lots of sweating and swearing along the way... however, this one has been pure fun.
 I used Martha Stewart's icing but with vanilla extract rather than lemon. 
 And now having iced the cake I think I am going to die. I have never felt so sick in my life from nibbling bits and pieces along the way. Eyes can test things Kate, trust your eyes...
 Usually with left over icing I do little treats for birthday parties like the biscuits above. Such a great cheat.
 With the cake I was left these colourful strips, very corally and sea creaturey.
But I ended up having to throw them out because I was so sick of the cake smell. I am hoping this feeling will go away by tomorrow and that I won't grimace every time a cake-smeared child comes my way.
Next rainbow layer cake there will be no 'testing' along the way. Bllrrgggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Love Kate xxooxx.

7 comments:

  1. That is amazingly fantastically eatible!! Yes I know I should have written edible but eatable sounded more righter for this calke. I'm with you on the nibbling as you go cooking method....can imagine hoe you feel after all that richness! I' glad you showed the steps as we can see the layers all in their glory! Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I know! You want to try every round ofcourse to see if it doesn't taste burned or whatever... And you end up eating half of the leftovers... But it looks amazing! Wait until you cut it open and see all the bright colours (mine looked brown on the outside (couldn't ice it so I glued them together with lemon curd) but when it was cut the colours inside were really vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I made a rainbow cake for my daughter's birthday in November, they are so pretty!! Took pretty much all day to make but everyone was impressed when I cut it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! so bright and cheery
    I too am always nibbling as a go along often so much that I don't really fancy eating the finished thing oops
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I bet you do end up nibbling again, it's impossible not to! It's CAKE! Looks fab Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been blog hopping this morning and have just discovered your lovely colourful blog! I love all your makes and that birthday cake looks fantastic.
    M xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! The cake looks fabulous - do take a photo when you slice it please?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails