Thursday, August 6, 2009

My creative space...




This week, my creative space is to be found out and about on the farm. Our herd manager has broken his thumb and is off work for six weeks (ouch). As we are calving, Jonno is flat out so he has delegated big calf feeding to me. My job is to drive the big milk container out to the paddock and feed the calves who have graduated from the baby pens. Jonno very kindly went over the ropes with me again as it has been quite a while since the last time I drove a ute with hundreds of litres of milk into a paddock of glossy, frolicking calfies.
After they had their fill, Jonno and I sat quietly and listened to the milk sloshing around in their bellies as they ran about.
So yes, even though I am not creating much this week, I am still thinking creative thoughts as I stand about filling milk into calf feeders with a fire-hose. I guess my point is, we are our creative space and even if the physical space isn't there, the most important part, the thinking part, is always at work.
Oh, yes, the flower at the end was in my garden and I thought I had better include a bit of prettiness because we are such a visual bunch. Thanks Kirsty for letting us join in on your game and to see more players, visit here!

18 comments:

Leonie Guld said...

Work, work, work, woman's work is never done! truly multi tasking!! Watch those little buggers that the don't bunt you up the bum!!! oh...I remember!

Lauren said...

Looks like fun and hard work!! And yep, I take my creative (head)space everywhere with me too, so I can totally see how you'd be brewing some creative things while driving the ute!!

Anonymous said...

Did you ever think you would be an active dairy farmer's wife! i'm glad you are still working out creative things to teach your Mum when she comes to visit, in a MONTH!! Love all the photos, love Mum

june at noon said...

I get it. My creative space is often in my head, wherever I am. What hard, satisfying work!

Amanda said...

Wow looks like you are keeping busy...I would be so lost out there but would love the challenge.. Hope that thumb heals quickly for your sake :)

gretchenmist said...

the cows are beautiful! i know what you mean about being creative during the not-so-creative tasks ~ i do a lot of the mon-wed!

caramela said...

I love your thinking about it all- yes, so right you are, our creative space is inside, where all our ideas cook-
Have a lovely day,
Annamaria

Kylie said...

What a fresh and refreshing sight! I'd forgotten what outside looks like! ;) Beautiful photos and yes, it must be such a lovely meditative time to think about things without little ones drowning out your thoughts? Great space. K

anitameade said...

Kate, inspiration can be found in all sorts of places, even out amongst the calves! Love your creative space this week - the great outdoors. Anita. xx

Emjie said...

Such good hard work. Though it would have been exhausting, it sounds like it had a fun time.

Kirsty said...

Here, here...the most important part is the thinking.

jeanamarie said...

so much happens in the thinking, yes :)

and how lovely your mum is visiting!!!

redorgrayart said...

we "create" no matter where~elk

kiwistallion said...

Is it just me or have you stitched a couple of buttons on the cows ears in the second picture down! You couldn't help yourself could you! You give her a job and she can't resist turning it into a craft project. Now the cow looks like a four eyed freak..................mmmmmmmmm they could of course be ear tags in which case disregard this message.

vanessa said...

Oh aren't they adorable! I love cows, they're so gentle looking, though I have heard stories of cows stampeding people! What a wonderful environment you live in/
Love Vanessa xxx (do you mind if i knit)

Lucy Bowler said...

Enjoy the milking, the kids would be happy to join you as they are missing their pet lambs... very cross to hear we have to wait until next year to get another one...

Anonymous said...

I love KIWISTALLION's idea of the buttons in the ears, it would have to be so!! Maybe Farmer J with a Mouth like an O would have had to be in on the act too to hold the cow's ears still! Love Mum

Lynne said...

Hi Kate,
I saw your comment about Chewy on Vanessa's blog and thought I would stop by.
Looks like an interesting and busy life you lead. Loved the crochet and the owls.
I enjoyed my visit, thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails